Wednesday, January 19, 2011

August break 2

and then came a blinding flash of lightening and following it was a deafening thunder she held me tight in fear, and soon the building started shaking, it was the echoes from the thunder, or no! It wasn’t! The walls were cracking, ceiling patches started dropping oh! No! No! No! The building was falling, as Chika grabs her blouse for us to head out, a part of the ceiling collapsed and blocked our exit, walls cracked and shook, we both held each other tightly in fear, our heart raced in coherently, my eyes opened wide, we heard screams from outside and from inside, the house shook the more and we ran to a corner of the room curled up, scared holding each other, Chika was Screaming and crying, she wailed and blamed me for bringing her here and suddenly the ceiling finally collapsed and left us with only a room space to keep our legs... and after that came utmost silence, we could only hear little screams echoing in from distances away, we were locked, trapped and buried within heaps of fallen concretes chika and i were unharmed, at least up until now... the room was dark and white dust filled the air, i covered my nose with my handkerchief and so did chika , we had no space to stand, no space to move, just space to sit and shout, our both shouts combined couldn’t penetrate the thick walls and ceiling. We were trapped
After an hour of screaming and crying we both knew we were doomed, i looked at my phone, repeatedly and still there was no network signal, the same was the case for chika. It was then i decided to join her in prayers she had being praying the rosary, i am not catholic, but seriously i just didn’t even want to speak to God, first of all, it’s been long we spoke then secondly i was half way in sin so i just had guilt pricking me, but i knew i had no choice, time was passing it was 3 hours after the collapse, the room got darker and stuffier, did someone say stuffier, am asthmatic and immediately the fear of an attack gripped my my inhaler must have fallen off my pocket while i was reaching for my condoms.
I asked God for forgiveness, prayed and prayed till i ran out of saliva, Chika and i, concluded that we were going to die. We then stated sharing secrets. She told me how she had always had this crush on me, she finally answered my question, she was a virgin!, thank God i didn’t go further, she also told me of how she cheats in exams to get all the good grades she gets, and there i was envying her thinking she was brainy. It was my turn to share my secrets. I told her my dark secrets of how i was abused by our house help when i was 7 and again when i was 9 this time by our male house help, so obviously i wasn’t a virgin. We talked about how we think hell will be and how heaven will be. Fear enveloped us...
Meanwhile...
Great crowd gathered outside to see the not-so-trained fire department try to rescue people, tragedy has struck the town, the whole roads were jammed, there was traffic everywhere the streets were full and overcrowded with kids and adults, Red Cross and paramedics watching and praying. Reverend fathers and pastors gathered, prayers were being made the whole town was in shock, shouts of joy echoed as 2 little kids were drawn out of the building with excavators and bulldozers, the press over crowded the place, cameras recorded every event and television stations reported live. The press were happy asking question and filming every move. It was cold and everywhere was wet. It was 7.34pm it was already dark, bright artificial lamps were fixed. The streets had different versions of the story...
Many said only 5 people survived, others say 7 and others say it’s just those kids.

We were inside cold and forgotten, the excavators dug and the bulldozers dug even more...we both were so tired and hungry we fell asleep, i was woken up by mighty shouts and bright shining lights possibly from the artificial lamps.
No it wasn’t...
We have been waiting in the Student’s center for the principal’s last address...and i fell asleep, i jump up with my heart pounding, i was sweating, it was all a dream, the mighty shouts, bright lights and applauds were to commend the principle for the closing speech, the term was over and i got an F in maths again, it was just a lousy wet dream about Chika as usual, and oh! My trouser was wet! And immediately Chika passed by and saw my wet trouser as she laughed out loud and went to call other girls...

2 comments:

  1. Good, no great writing...watch those punctuations though but mehn! I was hooked.. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh thanks feisty...
    yes punctation is my weakness..i'm working on it though....
    :)

    ReplyDelete